Monday, July 21, 2008

Pocahontas Training (2008)

Monday: AM 50minutes in Watoga State Forrest(Hilly Run), the biggest State Forrest in WV. Nice paved road with some a dirt road at the top of the hill /PM 45minutes one Scenic Highway(rolling hilly) I ran this run on a section that sits at 4500 feet looking around the Williams River lookout point.

Tuesday 20minutes up, 6 Mile Tempo(31:54/5:19 Average), 30minutes down. Solid Tempo felt alittle flat on second half probably due to the 22mile long run on Sunday. Ran on Greenbrier River Trail in the Marlinton area on the paved 3mile stretch. (spilt 5:22, 5:17, 5:15, 5:19, 5:17, 5:21)

Wednesday: 77minutes on Pocahontas High School Road/Track. Hilly winding road, probably not a good pick but one bad run out of 2 weeks of training in the county isn't too bad. Ran last 20 plus minutes on the PHS Track.

Thursday: 1:33.30 for 14miles Easy Run on GRT Beard to Renick. Started right on a mile marker in Beard and ran 14miles into Renick so was able to get exact total time, didn't check too many spilts but run was a easy 6:40 average for the 14miles. I love this Trail!!!

Friday: 30minutes up, 8 Mile Marathon-Pace Tempo (43:51/5:28average), 28minutes down on Greenbrier River Trail. Felt really smooth and a lot better than Tuesdays harder paced tempo. I got out too quick on this workout, I only needed to run 5;30 average but then feel asleep on the 5th mile which was on a very loose gravel/cinder section around Buckeye which was one of the only tough running section of the GRT I have ran. (Spilts 5:21, 5:27, 5:25, 5:32, 5:39, 5:20, 5:32, 5:31) 16miles plus for the total workout.

Saturday: 70minutes on GRT Burnside to around the Beard area and back. Easy run which felt great for the body. Ran this section to pick up around 4plus miles that I hadn't ran yet of the trail. It leaves me the final 21.5 miles of the GRT Renick to Caldwell for tomorrow long run and last run in the countty before heading home.

Sunday: 20miles in 2:10.25 (6:32 average) on GRT Renick to Caldwell. Solid long run which I slightly picked up the pace every 5 miles (34:20, 32:35, 32:00, 31:30). Could have continued at this pace for 30plus miles so the effort wasn't nothing special but the confidence from the run is huge.

97miles on 8runs in 7 days. Was a great 2 week vacation and the running was wonderful. I only wish I could continue to train in Pocahontas County for the rest of my 10 week build into Akron Marathon. I ran every single mile of the Greenbrier River Trail in our 2 week stay, might be the best place I have ever ran! Got in a total of 135 miles on the GRT and 186 miles while in Pocahontas County.

*During our stay so far this experience has just felt right the entire time. This feels like a area I would be very happy living at for the rest of my life. The fresh-clean Mountain air, the cool summer breeze on a 70degree day, the beautiful views of Mountains, rivers, rolling hills, etc and the excellent running. State of mind here is so relaxed and time doesn't seem to matter. It doesn't hurt we have been without TV now for close to 2 weeks but that is another little thing that makes you step back and enjoy life the way God intended you too.

I really feel that this is the type of life that God intended for us on this earth, the way life is way slower and more enjoyable here makes you appreciate things so much more. I don't think this county would be for everyone but for us I could see us hopefully soon in this area maybe a little closer to Elkins for job purposes in the very near future.

On my 22mile run from Marlinton to Cass on Sunday I just felt so close to God as I ran on the Greenbrier River Trail with river and mountains on my sides and smooth trail in front. You can just get lost in a run, even at 22miles I felt like it was over in a flash and it had me wanting so much more. Spiritually I have grown so much during this stay, being away from the stress that busier life brings without even knowing. I really hope still to one day coach college XC and Track and have thought a lot this week of how nice something at D&E would be in Elkins. With Elkins being only a 35minute drive from Showshoe area you could live half way between and enjoy the best of both worlds by living in a wonderful county while also attaining a goal of coaching college XC. I will continue to pray about the future and I know God will lead us to where he intends us to be!

Monday: 77minutes on Greenbrier River Trail (GRT) from Marlinton Depot south. Jumped a lot of deer and crossed 3 bridges while entire run had beautiful river views!

****Today was Marian and my 1-year Anniversity. We were married on 7-7-07 and this past year has been the greatest of my life. I'm so thankful to have met Marian and know every year will get better and better! I LOVE YOU MARIAN VERY MUCH!!!!!!!*****

Tuesday: 85minutes with Strides. Started run on GRT before cutting off roughly one mile into the run onto a old logging road that now is a gated Forrest dirt road. From 10minutes into the run until turning around at 42minutes this run had a steady to steep climb(32minutes of climbing)! The run was completely tree covered and had some switchbacks the entire way. Added in the Wyatt Trail section on the way back down for a very nice run.

Wednesday: AM 22minutes up, 4xMile on GRT with 2min Rec (4:54, 4:58, 5:02, 4:59), 20min down. Workout was Cruise Intervals so ran them smooth, surprised to run this quick right now. Rather would have ran around 5:00-5:05 still, will bring them into a even more comfortable range next time. / PM 48minutes(maybe 6miles) on Two Lick Trail in Pocahontas Recreation Area. HARD running single track mountain run, not what we wanted but as we explore this can happen. Over 1,000 feet of climbing!

Thursday: 77minutes on GRT from Buckeye to Seven Hole Run Road. Once again a beautiful run that at one point had Mountain Trees/Rock on one side and huge opening to see the River flowing on the other. Very Scenic run, and the crazy thing was the Bear sighting that I blogged about earlier this week.

Friday: 55minutes with Strides on the GRT (Seebert to Burnside) Every Part of this trail has a different thing then from the section the day before, but one common is the beauty that makes your mind get lost while in the run. Today saw deer crossing the river as well as '"lots" of little rabbits hopping around. One the way back ran within 20 yards of you doe's with there little fawns on the trail, it was great!

Saturday 22up, Oceana Hertiage 5k (15:58, 1st Place $250), 23min down. Woke up at 4:30 for coffee and to hit the rode for a 2hour drive into Oceana, WV for race #2 of a 4 race money series. Plan was to tempo at around only 5:10 pace, but for some reason when the gun went off I shot off the line like it was a "all-out" 5k PR attempt. I hit the marked 1/2 mile at 2:21 and was 4:47 at the mile, I was around 7:33-4 at the halfway turn and decided against trying to come back faster and attempting to break 15 especially with a big day planned Sunday, so I basically shut it down and jogged it in for some reason. Not really upset I just should have ran the last half at pre-planned race pace of 5:10 instead of coasting it in. Felt like I wasted a workout. Good thing is money bonus for breaking Course records at next years races!

I'm 2 for 2 on series wins, and Marian took a solid 2nd place for addition $150 to our winning. I have been pushing her hard and 5k wise she really needs a rest to run fast, but we both agree that isn't the goal, so we will continue to push the limits of her training!

Sunday: 22miles in 2:31 (1st 10-70:03, 2nd 10-67:43(2:17.46 @20), last 2 13:10)Long Run from Marlinton Water Tank(mile post 57) to mile post 79 in Cass. Great long run, planned to run around 7minute pace for as long as I felt smooth and had no tightness, pace felt super easy and could have continued to really cut down for another 4.2 miles and finished off a easy Marathon Length Long Run. This route was by far the most scenic like Ramell had told me, hardly any development along the way. At one point I told myself it's just Me, the Mountain, the Trail and the River so lets enjoy this thing! Rab through Sharp's tunnel which is about 500 feet long and curves so the middle of the tunnel you see nothing, a little scary, kept thinking hope no bear is sleeping in here..lol

89miles on 8 runs in 7 days. Easy week mileage wise. Ran GRT mile post 42(Burnside) to 79(Cass) lots of those miles were covered twice with out and backs and workouts. So I only have mile 42 down to 3(Caldwell) left to go. Probably so we can explore other areas will hit up miles 22-42 on my next long run Sunday and leave miles 3 through 22 for another trip this way.

Coming week: Need to watch foot, have a bruise on it from walking around barefoot too much. I have super sensitive feet that get shoe-lace bruised and stone bruises all the time and sometimes they can crept up and take me out when everything else running wise is going great.

More Recap: Also last week we explore some hiking in Beartown State Park and Droop Mountain. We went to Marians moms side of the family reunion in Little Beaver State Park after the Saturday 5k. Sunday after running to Cass we explored Snowshoe and let me say it is BEAUTIFUL up there, it is like another world. I recommend people to check out this wild and wonderful county and go up to Showshoe for what feels like another world. It has been a Blast of a first week here, were set on getting out of Huntington into a area like this as soon as possible. Living is so much more peaceful and stress free and the sights and air is just out of this world. I feel like we our right now finally living in the "Real West Virginia!!"

No comments: